Jobs with marine mammals

From: Phillip J. Clapham (pclapham@whsun1.wh.whoi.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 06 2001 - 06:52:40 EDT

Hi:
.
Thanks for your question. First of all, you can get a lot of information
on careers with marine mammals at the Society for Marine Mammalogy's web
site:
.
http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~smm/
.
There's a whole section on careers. Your questions about qualifications,
years of experience, salaries and the difficulty of pursuing this career
are all covered there. As for the other questions... my answers don't
relate to marine mammal training, because that's not my field, but rather
to marine mammal scientific research...
.
Have you enjoyed your job so far?
Yes, very much. It is constantly challenging intellectually and gets me
out in the field with some remarkable animals.
.
What are the challenges of this job?
For many people, raising money to conduct research, and solving the many
logistical problems of putting together research expeditions in remote
places with often difficult weather and sometimes uncooperative animals.
What are the main duties?
In my job, designing research programs, conducting that research, analyzing
results, writing scientific papers, and advising conservation managers and
others on marine mammal science.
.
As for salaries, the web site will tell you something about that. But no
one does this for money - everyone who stays in this field is here because
we love the work.
.
Phil Clapham