Whales in Boston Harbor

From: Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 09:49:30 EDT

Whales aren't disappearing in Boston Harbor. They're not found there
much to begin with - it's not really their natural habitat. Whales are
found nearby in Massachusetts Bay and on Stellwagen Bank (which is about
15-20 miles from Boston), and they're not disappearing there either!
You can find lots of humpbacks and fin whales there, and in the winter
and spring right whales too.

--
The Society for Marine Mammalogy will be holding its 14th Biennial
Conference from 28 November to 3 December 2001, in Vancouver, BC.  Visit

Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D. Large Whale Biology Program Protected Species Branch Northeast Fisheries Science Center 166 Water Street Woods Hole, MA 02543, U.S.A.

tel. 508 495-2316 fax 508 495-2066 email: phillip.clapham@noaa.gov