Right whales and Boston

From: Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 09:51:45 EDT

Hi:

See my answer to the same question a few minutes ago...

But right whales arent disappearing from Boston Harbor - they're not
found there much normally. If you mean the area outside Boston, it
isn't really that right whales are disappearing from there - we see lots
of them every winter and spring. It's more that right whales are very
endangered to begin with, everywhere. There are about 300 left, and the
reason they are having lots of problems is mostly because they get
killed a lot by ship collisions or by entanglements in fishing gear.

--
The Society for Marine Mammalogy will be holding its 14th Biennial
Conference from 28 November to 3 December 2001, in Vancouver, BC.  Visit

Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D. Large Whale Biology Program Protected Species Branch Northeast Fisheries Science Center 166 Water Street Woods Hole, MA 02543, U.S.A.

tel. 508 495-2316 fax 508 495-2066 email: phillip.clapham@noaa.gov