how high can a dolphin jump ?

From: Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 10:36:52 EDT

Hi:

What kind of dolphin? There are many different species. Spinner
dolphins can supposedly clear the water by more than 10 feet (often
spinning as they do so). Dolphins can probably hit burst speeds of
25-30 knots. Weight for the largest spinners... not sure. They're
around 2.2 meters in maximum length, which I would guess would put them
at a maximum weight of around 500-600 lbs.

--
The Society for Marine Mammalogy will be holding its 14th Biennial
Conference from 28 November to 3 December 2001, in Vancouver, BC.  Visit

Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D. Large Whale Biology Program Protected Species Branch Northeast Fisheries Science Center 166 Water Street Woods Hole, MA 02543, U.S.A.

tel. 508 495-2316 fax 508 495-2066 email: phillip.clapham@noaa.gov