Gray Whale osteology

From: Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 08:26:38 EDT

Hi:

I'm not surprised you haven't been able to find this - this sort of
information is very obscure and you have to dig back into some very old
and not readily available sources that only us weird whale biologists
know about.

Anyway, the vertebral formula for the gray whale, based on a skeleton in
the British Museum is: C 7, D 14, L 14, Ca 21. Typically, these vary
somewhat from one individual to another.

According to an old source, "the... cervical vertebrae are quite
independent of each other as in the Rorquals, and they have the wide
lateral foramina formed by the transverse processes, which is so
conspicuous a feature of those vertebrae in Balaenoptera and Megaptera."
(Beddard 1900, cited in True 1904).

Concerning your other questions, I have to check on this with a friend
at Smithsonian. I'm not an anatomist, but the friend - Jim Mead - is
about the best in the world on cetaceans and he'll know the answer.
Will get back to you asap.

Phil

References cited above:

Beddard, W.S. 1900. A book of whales. London (no publisher given) 320
pp.
True, F.W. 1904. The whalebone whales of the western North Atlantic.
Smithsonian Institution Press (reprinted 1983). 332 pp + 50 plates.