Right whale food

From: Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 13:12:21 EDT

Hi:

I dont think right whales get confused with water temperatures, though
they definitely dont like very warm water. As far as we know, when they
go to Florida they don't eat while they're there, so competition for
food from other whales isn't a problem.

As for scientists taking copepods... they take only a tiny amount (and
they don't do it in Florida), and there are so many copepods in the
ocean that it really isn't a problem.

--
The Society for Marine Mammalogy will be holding its 14th Biennial
Conference from 28 November to 3 December 2001, in Vancouver, BC.  Visit

Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D. Large Whale Biology Program Protected Species Branch Northeast Fisheries Science Center 166 Water Street Woods Hole, MA 02543, U.S.A.

tel. 508 495-2316 fax 508 495-2066 email: phillip.clapham@noaa.gov