right whales

From: Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 13:22:47 EDT

Hi:

I answered the second question this morning - right whales arent in
Boston Harbor, so they're not "disappearing" from there. They're in big
trouble generally, but that's related mostly to deaths from ship strikes
and entanglement in fishing gear.

Pregnant female right whales go to the waters off Florida and Georgia to
give birth, and a few other whales go there too in winter. But a lot of
the population goes we don't know where. Many whales are in Cape Cod
Bay in winter and early spring, but the destinations of many whales
dujring this time are just not known!

--
The Society for Marine Mammalogy will be holding its 14th Biennial
Conference from 28 November to 3 December 2001, in Vancouver, BC.  Visit

Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D. Large Whale Biology Program Protected Species Branch Northeast Fisheries Science Center 166 Water Street Woods Hole, MA 02543, U.S.A.

tel. 508 495-2316 fax 508 495-2066 email: phillip.clapham@noaa.gov