right whale feeding

From: Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Date: Fri Oct 12 2001 - 15:29:06 EDT

Hi:

Right whales are in trouble because there are not many of them (only
about 300) and many whales die from either ship collisions or
entanglements in fishing gear.

Your question about fasting is a good one. Pregnant whales eat a lot so
that when they fast in winter they have lot of fat to live off, and it's
this fat that they use to produce milk for their babies. So as long as
they get enough food during the feeding season they and their babies are
fine.

--
The Society for Marine Mammalogy will be holding its 14th Biennial
Conference from 28 November to 3 December 2001, in Vancouver, BC.  Visit

Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D. Large Whale Biology Program Protected Species Branch Northeast Fisheries Science Center 166 Water Street Woods Hole, MA 02543, U.S.A.

tel. 508 495-2316 fax 508 495-2066 email: phillip.clapham@noaa.gov