Please answer!

From: Greg Early (gregearly@downeast.net)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 16:37:18 EST

Erin,

It is a little hard for me to give you a straight answer for some of these
questions, because what has worked for me (and why I do the work I do) may
not be why you would like this field. Marine Science has turned into avery
big and diverse field. Some marine scientists spend most of their research
times out in the open water on ships. Some like me, spend most of their time
on shore studying the animals that appear there.

So, the best thing for you to do is look at some of the very good resources
on the web for marine science careers. WhaleNet has a number of really good
web addresses that can give you a good start. These sites include
biographies of working marine scientists, so you can get an idea of the
whole range of work that is out there. The most important thing you say in
you note is that being a marine scientist is your life long dream. This
would be the main reason for you to do it. In fact, most of the folks I
know working in this field, do it because it is what they love to do (and
not because it is the easiest job or the one that might have been the best
paying.

Anyway....