killer whale diets

From: Pieter Arend Folkens (animalbytes@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 02:59:08 EST

> Hello I was doing a report concerning killer whales but I need
>information that could tell me what they eat and why are they in danger and
>how are they really to the way scientist describes them and I also wanted to
>know were they live

Killer whales can eat pretty much anything they can catch. Their name
comes from the Basque "ballaena assasina" which means "whale killer."
Obviously, this means they kill (and eat) whales. The known "prey
species list" includes a wide variety of fish (especially salmon and
schooling fish of a similar size), a selection of birds, and even an
occasional deer or moose.

Killer whales are not necessarily in danger world wide. The "southern
resident pods" of British Columbia are having trouble. Although the
reasons are not completely clear, it is suspected that water
pollution has impacted their primary food supply.

Killer whales are "cosmopolitan" which means they can be found world
wide. There are different races of killer whales that prefer
different habitats. Some prefer living near Antarctic ice; other live
offshore, while others are found more often nearshore.

Cheers,

Pieter Folkens

--
    \ |/