RE: Whales

From: Greg Early (gregearly@downeast.net)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 12:48:13 EST

Well,

There are, of course, a couple of problems, nonetheless. First, being that
ALL marine mammals are protected under (at least) the Marine Mammal
Protection act (regardless of whether they are endangered or not).
Secondly, I'm not sure how open minded your friends are, but these days most
people in the US feel that eating whale is pretty distasteful, from an
ethical standpoint. Thirdly, (the latter was not that much of a pun) even
though whales are eaten in some cultures, ours is not (and really has never
been) one of them. Look at it this way, in the heydays of American whaling
(back in the early to mid 1800's), whalers on a ship would rather spend
their three or so years at sea eating progressively rancid salted meat that
was stored on the ship than any of the tons of whale meat they were
catching. As a culture we just have never acquired a taste for the stuff.

OK, so despite the fact that it would be illegal, considered unethical, and
probably pretty distasteful, here are your options. In cultures that do eat
whales only two parts are commonly eaten. Whale skin is eaten, usually
uncooked, and whale muscle is eaten, sometimes raw but usually cooked.
Recipes? If you have an old copy of the "Joy of Cooking" from pre- marine
mammal protection days (somewhere around 1970) the last entry in the
"Seafood" chapter is a recipe for whale (entered, I suspect ONLY for the
sake of completeness, under the heading "Last but Vast"). As I recall the
recipe called for a lot of vinegar and boiling...

Maybe it is just me, but vegetarian chili is starting to sound like a pretty
good option...

ge