whale song in space

From: Pieter Arend Folkens (animalbytes@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2001 - 03:52:45 EST

>I'm not a marine biologist, but there's this nagging question in my
>head that demands an answer. I once heard that only whale songs may
>be heard from outer space. Is there truth to this?

Whales in the oceans cannot be heard from outer space. Period.

I think the confusing statement came from this fact: On a space craft
scheduled to exit the solar system (I think it was one of the
Voyagers), NASA scientists placed a recorded disk and player that
included a variety of sounds from earth, including humpback whale
vocalizations. The idea was, that if an intelligent being in outer
space encountered Voyager, they could hear and see a bit about earth.
The package included a celestial map showing where Voyager came from.
That's it for hearing whales in space.

Cheers,

Pieter Folkens

--