Humpback Whale Skeleton

From: Pieter Arend Folkens (animalbytes@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Nov 23 2001 - 00:44:20 EST

>This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but I work at the University of
>Calgary Library and I have a faculty member looking for a 3D Digital
>Humpback Whale skeleton. I have been e-mailing various natural history
>museums, and other whale scientists about this, but have been unsuccessful. I
>was hoping you might have some leads on this. Would you or any other
>researchers you know happen to either be doing research in
>this area, or perhaps know if someone who is?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Jennifer Lee
>Liaison Librarian, Biology, Physics & Astronomy
>University of Calgary
>2500 University Dr. NW
>Calgary, AB T2N 1N4

Dear Jennifer:

I have a 3-D digital whale, but no skeleton. I suspect none exists,
The parts are too large to scan efficiently, so one would have to be
created by hand. Such an endeavour would be time consuming and very
expensive.

The bottom line is: it can be done; it has not been done yet; to do
so would be expensive.

As they say: close, but no cigar.

Cheers,

Pieter Folkens