Concerning the Southern Orca Pods (L,K and J)

From: Howard Garrett (howard@orcanetwork.org)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 16:02:29 EST

>Hi, my name is Desiree and I have a question concerning the Southern
>Resident Pods ( L pod, K pod and J pod . Well, my question is, how
many have
>deceased in each pod and there names? I have a report Im doing on
these pods
>and I would very much appreciate it if you could tell me or direct
me to a
>beneficial website??!!? Thank-you so very much!
>
>Sincerely,
>
>*Desiree Bensen*

That information can be found at www.whaleresearch.com, the website
of the Center for Whale Research on San Juan Island. I would need
to know the time frame you are interested in to know how far to go
back to answer that, and I need my list to be accurate. I can tell
you that the overall population has declined 20% in six years, from
98 total in 1995 to 78 in 2001, but I'm happy to report that two
new calves were born around the first of November and were seen doing
well on November 24.

Howard Garrett
Orca Network