WHALE INTELLIGENCE AND MATING RITUALS (fwd)

From: Pita Admininstrator (pita@whale.wheelock.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 10:30:29 EST

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 08:57:14 -0500
From: Cathy Schaeff <schaeff@american.edu>
To: JNUZZ77@aol.com, pita@whale.wheelock.edu
Subject: Re: WHALE INTELLIGENCE AND MATING RITUALS

Hi,

Whales do have penises, at least the females do, and they have internal
fertilization like other mammals. In right whales the females lie on
their backs and 'call' in the males who swim around her and try to
position themselves on either side so that when she turns over to breath
(blow hole is on the top of the head) they can mate with her. Since all
the males provide is sperm, females incite competition to ensure that
they get the 'best' male to fertilize them.

Cathy

--
Dr. Cathy Schaeff
Associate Professor and Chair