Re: Seraching for info (fwd)

From: Cathy Schaeff (schaeff@american.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 09:38:42 EST

Hi Lorena,

Whales can be identified in part by their 'blows'. Various species have different blowing patters -- for example right whales and bowheads have a 'v' shaped blow whereas a fin
whale has a cone-like blow about 6 m high (these are all baleen whales). Blows differ between toothed and baleen species -- toothed have one hole and baleen have two. Toothed
whale blows are less visible. The blow holes have nasal plugs that are closed except when forced open during respiration. I assume that the air expelled during a blow is going
to have a very low oxygen content -- it may differ depending on the length of the dive/time between breaths.

Hope this helps,

Cathy Schaeff

--
Dr. Cathy Schaeff