Re: Please read!!

From: Cathy Schaeff (schaeff@american.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 08:40:45 EST

Hi Student,

Baleen and toothed whales differ in numerous ways including 1) baleen species have baleen plates and filter feed rather than having teeth to capture and eat their prey, 2) baleen have two blow holes and toothed only one, 3) toothed whales tend to be more social, travelling in related family groups (pods) whereas baleen species are mostly loners except mother and calves or mating groups, 4) baleen whales are larger than toothed whales and 5) baleen whales have more pronounced seasonal migration patterns.

Hope this helps,

Cathy Schaeff