Re: calves

From: Cathy Schaeff (schaeff@american.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 09:02:25 EST

Hi Sue,

Initially mothers and calves stay so close together that mothers probably don't need to pick their calf out of a crowd -- although I expect they still can. Since mothers resume feeding before weaning their young they must have a well developed method for IDing their young. But I am not sure how mothers recognize their calves. They may use visual cues, vocalizations or perhaps even odor among the baleen species.

Cathy Schaeff