toothed whales and melons

From: Peter M Scheifele (acousticp2@juno.com)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 20:43:37 EST

Brett

Yes, to my knowledge all toothed whales have melons with the exception of
the Sperm Whale whose pronounced fore skull area houses the spermaceti
organ. Dolphin and porpoise melons are not nearly as pliable as that of
a Beluga or Pilot Whale. Nevertheless they do possess one.
Best
Peter

On Mon, 07 Jan 2002 16:31:25 -0800 "B H" <bretthine@hotmail.com> writes:
> Hi Peter:
>
> I'm confused as to whether all toothed whales have melons or just
> dolphins
> and a few others (like the beluga). Is it just that dolphin's and
> beluga's
> melons are more pronounced than in other toothed whales?
>
> Thanks,
> Brett

> http://mobile.msn.com

Peter M."Skip" Scheifele LCDR USN (Ret.)
Director of Bioacoustic Research
Animal Bioacoustics/Neuroanatomy
University of Connecticut