Weight of a whale's tail

From: Peter M Scheifele (acousticp2@juno.com)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 19:20:52 EST

Dear Class

The weight depends on what whale we're talking about! No one, to my
knowledge has actually weighed JUST the tail however, with a few general
calculations: a Blue Whale...about 1/2 ton, Beluga Whale...80-90 pounds
maybe.

For question number two it also depends on what whale we're talking about
but Sperm Whales can stay down for 60+ minutes and Bottlenose Dolphins
for up to 9 minutes.

Good questions!
Best of luck!
Peter

On Tue, 08 Jan 2002 11:56:14 -0500 Carol Pitassi <ride9891@ride.ri.net>
writes:
> How much does a whale's tail weigh?
> How long can a whale stay underwater without coming up for air?
> Thank you.
>
> Mrs. Pitassi's Reading Class
> NA Ferri Middle School
> Johnston,
> RI 02919
> ride9891@ride.ri.net

Peter M."Skip" Scheifele LCDR USN (Ret.)
Director of Bioacoustic Research
Animal Bioacoustics/Neuroanatomy
University of Connecticut