Scientists and God

From: Peter M Scheifele (acousticp2@juno.com)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 14:05:42 EST

The question you're asking is fairly stereotypical and I cannot answer
for all scientists or the scientific community at-large. I seriously
doubt that we are a community of Godless individuals. We come in all
faiths, including atheist. In my opinion, a scientist is a person who is
not content to simply accept things as they are but is rather, a
perpetually inquisitive child who wants to know why and how things are
the way they are, how they came to be and where we are going.

As a physicist that question (in general) is fundamental to the science
in general and my science (animal bioacoustics) in particular. As a
Roman Catholic scientist I don't believe that science and religion are
exclusive of one another. I would truly love to see such things as GUT
(grand unified theory) come to be solved by man. In essence physics (and
I dare say most science) is an attempt to know the mind of God. As a
Catholic scientist I do believe that one must be careful in the "doing"
of science and the "doing" of religion not to confuse the theology with
the science. This is a very fine line at times and a very tenuous path
to walk but necessary as I see it from my seat.

Secondly, I feel strongly that when I do research that serves the
environment then I AM, by definition, helping God's cause to hold dear
all of nature and all of mankind. Believing that God gave us the earth,
the reaches of space and all that accompanies them as a gift that we are
charged with overseeing, then science truly is a tool also given by God
to do just that. In essence then, I believe that God created all things
and gives us the knowledge to create useful things however, my desire is
to know how and why. In this regard, I call to mind a quote from a
famous Jewish physicist of whom I have great respect:

"I want to know God's thoughts...the rest are details." (Albert
Einstein)

Your question is highly philosophical. I dare say that if you ask it to
100 scientists, you will receive 100 varied answers. I've only given you
a fraction of my thoughts because there is little time and volumes could
be filled on the subject. I am also brief because I'm not sure that the
WhaleNet is the correct forum for such a question. Nevertheless, I hope
this helps you.

Good Luck
Peter

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:13:46 -0800 "Ulis Ellis"