marine mammal acoustic research

From: Peter M Scheifele (acousticp2@juno.com)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 01:03:00 EST

Dear Keri

Glad to make your acquaintance. I'm also glad that Mike told you to
contact me. He's a great guy...got me started on this Whalenet fever!
Yes, I know of Christine Erbe, we've met before and I'm well aware of her
research. I tend to do research on animal audiology and otology
specifically as it relates to the effects of low frequency, anthropogenic
noise and neuroanatomical research on central auditory pathways. Most of
my research is in regard to the St. Lawrence River Estuary and the Beluga
there, the Arctic Beluga and cetaceans of the Gulf of Maine. I tend to
do comparative animal/ human studies and am presently also working with
cloned cows.

I'd love to speak with you on your question of conservation although I
don't know how much help I can be since I'm involved in a very narrow
area (Bioacoustics and noise), which is very physics oriented. involve a
good amount of medical "bent" to the research using audiology, neurology
and speech pathology. As such my degrees are in physics (acoustics),
physical oceanography and medical.

Let's converse some more. My data is as follows: Phone at UCONN-
860-405-9103; Home (and wife's business line) 860-886-6842 (by the way
she is an exotic animal trainer also involved in conservation); UCONN
e-mail- scheifel@uconn.edu and, of course this is my home e-mail.

Tell me a bit more about your studies and interests in conservation. How
much math and physics have you had? Any other experience? What would
you "like" to do?

I'll listen for you!!
Best
Peter