mother and baby acoustic communication

From: Peter M Scheifele (acousticp2@juno.com)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 20:15:00 EST

Hey Brett

Signature whistling is thought to be an identifier "I'm Pete and I'm
here." sort of thing. In my experience, yes, mothers acoustically
communicate with their calves signature whistle or not. The signature
whistle is in there somewhere, sometimes (not always). I guess that's
the more direct answer. I've witnessed it in captivity and in the wild.

Best
Peter