Whale intelligence

From: Peter M Scheifele (acousticp2@juno.com)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 18:53:21 EST

[Peter's response] I always cringe a bit when the "intelligence"
question comes up but here's my opinion on the topic. First,
"intelligence" is a tough thing to rate. The answer requires a point of
reference. If your reference point is humanity it is hard to relate
animals to ourselves. Do we rate it based on language? Metaphysical
beliefs? Problem solving? Many folks mistake animals that are
perceptive for intelligence. I'm not sure that is wise. Further, I'm
not convinced that humanity exercise true intelligence given the way we
treat one another, and so on (you get my point, eh). If language s the
criteria then here are some thoughts. Dolphins make sounds that are
definitely meaningful to themselves (that is, they can communicate) and
through the use of acoustic and tactile means can sometimes communicate
with humans in my experience. We don't know for sure that they have a
language but then again, why shouldn't they? They are certainly
organized (Orca, for example). Can we translate dolphinese? Nope, not
as far as I know.

Now, an example: we all know that one student in the class who nearly
always gets 95% or above on exams. You know, if they get less than 95 %
they're kicking and screaming for the extra points. They don't seem to
have trouble with the homework and can generally answer most all
questions in class. If polled, I dare say that most of their classmates
would label them as "smart" (a.k.a. intelligent). I know folks like that
who can't make common sense decisions in life. Consider further, when
you say that so-and-so is smart WHO exactly is your point of reference
to? Guess who? YOU, yourself!! So now, does that mean you're not
smart?

Another example: When I worked as head trainer at an aquarium we found
one afternoon that someone had dropped a small piece of paper into the
pool. Now two of our dolphins had gotten hold of it and were playing
catch with it. As I and one of the maintenance staff watched through the
glass windows of the pool they played on. He eventually went back to
squeegee-ing the windows when all of a sudden one of the dolphins grabbed
the paper and began to "squeegee" the window from their side of the pool!
 Is that intelligent?

One more (forgive my ramblings) example: In the Eastern Tropical Pacific
tuna boats periodically "set" on schools of dolphins when trying to catch
tuna. Now, we've all seen dolphins jumping in and out of aquaria.
They're really good at it. Yet in the face of a net a dolphin will
almost never jump the net. Instead, they will swim headlong into it,
drown and die. So are they intelligent?

In my opinion, marine mammals are very perceptive creatures. They can
learn. They can communicate well. They have some semblance of self and
of their own (and even others). I don't think, from a psychological
point of view, that they are any better or worse than we are but I have
no good way to assess that. If we were to assess intelligence on the
basis of brain development, brain size, encephalization quotient,
neuroanatomy in a comparative sense (with other mammals, mankind
included) we find ourselves also in somewhat of a quandry but it is
generally accepted that we humans top them but that they fall into the
level of other primates.

Basically I just told you all of this in a long-winded way to say- "I
don't have a clue." I don't think anyone else has the lock on this
either but it is a "hot" topic for sure!

Best
Peter

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 20:22:12 +0100 Dr.Gronke@t-online.de (Dres.Christine