Narwhal diet

From: Jennifer Philips (jphilips@hawaii.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 18:15:21 EST

Dear Jen,
How much do narwhals eat daily?
Thank you for your help.
Ben Wilson

Ben,

Honestly, relatively little is known about the narwhal,
including what and how much they eat. From stomach contents
studies, it seems that narwhals feed primarily on squid,
fish and some crabs, but we do not know for sure how much
they eat per day. I would offer a GUESS and say that it is
probably similar to the amount of food other toothed whales
of similar size eat - perhaps 25-50 pounds per day.
Unfortunately that is just a rough estimate.

Sorry I could not help more.