Being a biologist

From: Jennifer Philips (jphilips@hawaii.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 17:04:12 EST

Dear Jen,
    I just wanted to know a little bit about what it is like
to be a biologist. Have you ever studied dolphins? About how
much do you get paid yearly? Please e~mail me back as soon
as possible....because this is for a science project at
school. Sincerely,a concerned student:)

Yes, I have studied dolphins. As a marine mammalogist, I
have studied bottlenosed dolphins, pilot whales, and Risso's
dolphins. I have also studied California sea lions, harbor
seals, walruses and elephant seals. Marine mammals are
amazing animals, which makes being a biologist who studies
them very fun. Being a biologist is like being in school
forever, only you get to study and learn about something
that no one else knows about yet. A biologist's job is to
discover the answers to unanswered questions. Biologists,
like other scientists, conduct research to answer those
questions. For example, humans do not yet know how to
prevent cancer. A scientist who study's cancer attempts to
find ways to prevent and cure it by designing and conducting
special tests, called experiments. All scientists basically
do the same thing, including biologists. How much do we get
paid? Well, that is the down side of being a scientist. The
pay is not good - we start out at very low pay ($25,000 to
$30,000) AFTER we finish graduate school, and it takes years
and years to make more. Biologists working at universities
earn less than biologists working for private companies.

Thanks for your question!
Jen Philips