Dolphins and Gulf Streams

From: Jennifer Philips (jphilips@hawaii.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 13:54:05 EST

     Dear Jen Phillips,
  Hi!~!~! My name is Elise. I was on the internet looking for
some info about the Gulf Stream . I went on search and clicked on
a website. It said something about ask a marine biologist. It
said you are the scientist of the week.
     I'd like to get to know you. This is not a stupid joke. I
really love dolphins. Do you? It must be really cool studying
them and stuff. They are so cute and smart! I'd like to know some
things about the Gulf Stream, and some things about dolphins!
        By the way, I'm 11 years old and in 5th grade. I live in
Erie Pennsylvania. Where do you live? How old are you? (I
shouldn't be asking a grownup how old they are, but Oh well!)

                              Yours Truely,
                                 Elise ;o)

P.S. Please, Please, Please, Please, Please e-mail me
back!~!~!~!~!~!~!

Elise,
I would love to tell you more about dolphins, but the Gulf Stream
is not my area. Do you have some particular questions about
dolphins?

Dolphins are warm-blooded mammals which live in the oceans (and a
few live in Rivers). They are mammals, which means they are more
related to you and me than they are to fishes. They give birth to
their young and suckle them with milk from mammary glands.
Dolphins live in social groups called pods, and often remain with
this group throughout their lives. They feed (depending on the
species) on fish, squid, and crustaceans, and use sound to locate
their food (called echolocation). Dolphins belong to a group of
animals called 'toothed whales', or Odontecetes, and are closely
related to 'baleen whales', or Mysticetes. There are over 65
species of dolphins, porpoises and toothed whales in the world,
with a couple of the most popular species being Tursiops
truncatus (bottlenose dolphin) and Orcinus orca (killer whale).

If you have a few specific questions, write back again.
Jen Philips