Summer opportunities

From: Jennifer Philips (jphilips@hawaii.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 19:45:54 EST

Hi Jen my name is Abby and I am a sophomore at Barry
University in Miami Shores, FL. I am majoring in marine biology
and minoring in scuba diving. I have wanted to be a marine
biologist for as long as I can remember. Being from a city in
Pennsylvania, my family never believed that I would leave them
and go to school 2,000 miles away. They are amazed by how well I
am doing and how much I love it here. I have a couple questions
for you since my advisor here doesn't know too much in the field
of marine biology. I am planning on going home to PA for the
summer and I was wondering if you had any information on summer
jobs in PA or any of the neighboring states. I would even be
willing to fly anywhere else if I could find a worthwhile job.
My roommate is from St. Croix and I plan on visiting her
sometime, and I also have friends from CA and AZ.

Abby,

I don't personally know of opportunities in PA, but that is
certainly not because there are none. I would look into the local
zoos or aquariums for either volunteer or entry level positions.
If you are a certified diver, you may be able to make use of that
at an aquarium. If you are willing to go further than home, there
are a number of Internship opportunities for undergraduates in
places from Hawaii to Texas, as well as outside the country. For
this info, I recommend that you search the MARMAM listserve
archives (http://www.escribe.com/science/marmam/) - search for
terms like internship or volunteer. You'll probably find a few
openings listed there. These vary in timing (some will be for the
summer) and cost/pay to you. If you find some out-of-date
listings, contact those research groups anyway and inquire about
their upcoming opportunities. Unfortunately, in this line of
work, you have to be willing to work for little or no pay, but
the rewards can be great!

I wish you luck!
Jen Philips

http://www.escribe.com/science/marmam/m2512.html