I am a student at Pittsford High School, wondering if you could help me

From: Erich Hoyt (EHoyt@compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 18:43:47 EST

Message text written by "Jessica Thomas"

My name is Jessica Thomas, and I am a student at Pittsford High School in
Pittsford Michigan. As a Career Project, we are required to interview
someone in the job field that we want to pursue after High School and
College. I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions. If for some
reason you cannot help me, it would be greatly appreciated if you could
direct me to someone who might be able to do so at
scoops_chick03@hotmail.com
1) What made you decide to work with Marine Mammals?
2) How many years of College does it take, and what education is necessary
to become an expert in Marine Mammals?
3) What are some challenges in your career field?
4) What parts of your job are more difficult than other?
5) What is your favorite part of your career
6) What are some advantages in your career?
7) What are some disadvantages in your career?
8) What type of career opportunities may be provided?
9) What does a person do to gain work experience with Marine Mammals?
10) What training is need to obtain your career?
11) What personal qualities are important for this career?
12) What advice would you give any young students interested in pursuing a
career involoving marine mammals?
Thank you very much
Jessica Thomas
scoops_chick03@hotmail.com

Dear Jessica

I'll answer your questions below but please take a look at the careers link
on the same page that you contacted me from. It has wonderful information
on all aspects of careers with marine mammals and can you tell you much
more than just one person's view...

Best wishes

Erich Hoyt

1) What made you decide to work with Marine Mammals?

EH: I got a job as soundman on a film expedition in 1973 to be the first to
film orcas in the wild. Once I got to know them, I was hooked.

2) How many years of College does it take, and what education is necessary
to become an expert in Marine Mammals?

EH: It varies from zero to 6 or 7 years (ie. a PhD). Usually you would have
at least a BSc to get started in the field.

3) What are some challenges in your career field?

EH: Getting money to spend as much time as possible with the animals in the
wild.

4) What parts of your job are more difficult than other?

EH: For me, flying all over the place is the worst part plus all the
logistics that need to be worked out to make an ocean journey, but it's
different for different people.

5) What is your favorite part of your career

EH: When a new report, paper or book comes out...or is translated into
another language.

6) What are some advantages in your career?

EH: Getting to know the whales in the wild, and the people who study them.
FInding out what really goes on, long before it gets published or is known
by most other people.

7) What are some disadvantages in your career?

EH: Spending so much time on one thing means you can't do lots of other
things that you might want to do.

8) What type of career opportunities may be provided?

EH: Unlimited - or limited only by one's imagination.

9) What does a person do to gain work experience with Marine Mammals?

EH: Try to get a volunteer job as a whale watch naturalist or galley slave
on a whale watch boat - anything to get time with the animals.

10) What training is need to obtain your career?

EH: It varies so much; see answer to question 2, and information in the
careers section on this website.

11) What personal qualities are important for this career?

EH: Refusal to give up; flexibility; willingness to do with less money;
love of animals, adventure, and science in general; the drive to find out
why and more about something and the willingness to pursue that curiousity
despite lots of obstacles; the desire to something different, creative,
unique...

12) What advice would you give any young students interested in pursuing a
career involoving marine mammals?

EH: Read widely on, around, as well as off the subject; try to get involved
in some aspect of research or conservation with ANY animal; pursue your
dream; don't give up...

Good luck

Erich Hoyt

Erich Hoyt
North Berwick, Scotland

email: ehoyt@compuserve.com

Senior research associate, Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society
Co-director, Far East Russia Orca Project

Creatures of the Deep: In search of the sea's "monsters" and the world they
live in. by Erich Hoyt. Published Autumn 2001 by Firefly Books (Canada,
USA; distr. Chris Lloyd in UK). www.fireflybooks.com