sea horses

From: Greg Early (gregearly@downeast.net)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 11:00:27 EST

Is there a name for sea horses? fish are called schools,
===================================

Errr??

This is a little off the subject, but let me see if I have the right idea.
Do I know what you call a group of sea horses?..

Actually...I have no idea....so I looked it up with another expert....the
on-line folks at the Oxford
Dictionary....(http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/collective/)...They
have a big list of all of the names used for animal groups. They say a
group of seahorses is called.........ready for this?.....a "herd".....Like
real horses...Not very original but, that is what they said.

By the way, not that you asked, but group names for....

seals....... also herd, pod, or rookery...

whales...flote (float), gam, grind, mob, pod, run, school, shoal, troup
(troop)...and herd (again)

and my personal favorite...

hippopotamus...bloat

ge

Greg Early
Senior Scientist for Field Research
Marine Environmental Research Institute (MERI)
PO Box 1652
55 Main Street
Blue Hill, ME 04614
tel.: 207-374-2135 ex 15
fax: 207-374-2931
email: GregEarly@downeast.net
Is there a name for sea horses? fish are called schools,