whale meat name

From: Greg Early (gregearly@downeast.net)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 15:28:34 EST

Michelle,

You wanted to know the whaler's name for whale meat? Turns out it is "whale
meat". Or some version in the language of the whalers.

"Muktuk" is a name the Inuit people use for the skin of whales, which is
eaten raw and cooked. Bowhead whale skin IS used for "muktuk" as is skin
from some other whales (beluga is quite popular). "Muktuk" is rich in
vitamins (particularly vitamin "C"), (sort of like orange juce for us). I
am told it tastes a bit like coconut.

ge

Greg Early
Senior Scientist for Field Research
Marine Environmental Research Institute (MERI)
PO Box 1652
55 Main Street
Blue Hill, ME 04614
tel.: 207-374-2135 ex 15