I'm a high school student and need help on a project for marine biology

From: Greg Early (gregearly@downeast.net)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 11:39:55 EST

Molly,

You are looking for information on whale trainers?

I can only give you some general advise for this as I am not a whale
trainer. As a matter of fact, there are not very many whale trainers out
there, mainly because there are not a lot of whales to be trained. About
the only whales around to be trained are, beluga whales and killer whales,
and there are only a few organizations that have them in exhibits. In order
to be a whale trainer, you would have to work for one of these
organizations. Generally trainers do not make a great deal of money, and
most, I expect , consider the fact that they get to work with animals they
love, the best benefit of their job.

Most trainers I know have college degrees (although they have a variety of
backgrounds) and quite a bit of "animal experience" before they became
trainers. The experience part can range from general work with other
animals, to specifically working for other trainers as a volunteer or
intern. Trainers jobs vary from place to place, but keep in mind that not
only do trainers do shows with animals, but they also do most, if not all of
their care. This means a lot of cleaning and food handling. As one friend
of mine once put it, to be a trainer you have to enjoy "being wet all the
time and smelling like fish".

If that sounds like your kind of job, there is a lot of information on the
web that can help you get started. First check the "Career Information"
section of WhaleNet
(http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/ed_resources.html). There is also
some good career information at
http://www.seaworld.org/infobooks/ZooCareers/training.html and