Whaling

From: Dagmar Fertl (dagmar_fertl@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 10:59:18 EST

Q: I am a 10 year old student from Sydney Australia. Could you please tell me when whale hunting started and also when was whale hunting first banned? I am doing a project on Whales and Dolphins in school. I am in fifth grade.

Dear Julia,

I would recommend that you go to the library or run an online search regarding whaling to get some more information about whaling in general. There are many, many books about whaling, and depending on which country you're talking about, there are many types of whaling and all sorts of whales that have been killed. While whaling has been banned by the International Whaling Commission, not every country follows the ban and scientific whaling is still allowed. I would also recommend checking thru the WhaleNet archives (go back to the WhaleNet site and check thru the old questions and answers), since I'm almost positive that some information may be found there.

Good luck with your project!

Dagmar