Gestation

From: Dagmar Fertl (dagmar_fertl@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 10:45:03 EST

Q: I have a specific question about whales. I heard that there is a type of whale in which the male whale carries the growing youth until birth. If this is true, could you please tell me which type of whale this is?

Thanks,

Brian Dalton

Brian,

Like all good mammals, it is only the female that carries the young (gestation) and gives birth. It sounds like you are talking about a sea horse, which is actually a type of fish.

Dagmar