Re: research permits

From: Dagmar Fertl (
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 11:26:54 EST

Q: my question regards research permits.
let's say i wanted to study a species of dolphin. and
let's say they migrated past many islands in the
caribbean. would i have to apply for research permits in every island they passed by?? what would i do?? if these animals pass by 20 different islands with differnt mother countries,
would i have to apply and get 20 differnet permits??

katie barrett

A: People who conduct scientific research in the territorial waters or EEZ of a country need to comply with the laws of that country.  Thus, if a country requires a permit to conduct research on marine mammals within their territorial waters, then a researcher would need to obtain that country's permit.  In addition, researchers may be subject to specific requirements under their own country's laws.

For example, in the U.S., the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) requires permits for research activities in U.S. territorial waters and U.S. EEZ.  This applies to U.S. citizens and foreign nationals alike.

In addition, the MMPA requires that U.S. citizens who conduct research on the high seas (i.e., in international waters) also obtain a permit.  However, this provision would not apply to foreign nationals.  Nevertheless, a researcher from a foreign country conducting research on marine mammals in international waters may be subject to a similar requirement under their own country's laws.

Hope this helps.


Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: Click Here

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b30 : Mon Aug 19 2002 - 10:33:04 EDT