difference between northern and southern humpback whales

From: Cathy Schaeff (schaeff@american.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 14:00:39 EDT

Hi Edith,

Whales in the Northern and Southern Hemisphere do not interbreed because
their reproductive cycles are 6 months out of phase. This means there is
restricted gene flow between the two and so differences could occur but all
of the sources I checked gave a single description for humpbacks in the
northern and southern hemispheres. Different stocks of whales do have
regional song 'dialects'.

Cathy