Why are right whales called that?

From: Cathy Schaeff (schaeff@american.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 10:48:19 EDT

Hi Emmanuel,

Right whales are the most endangered of the large whales, particularly the ones in the northern hemisphere. They were hunted for centuries. The right whales earned their name from fishermen. They were the 'right' whale to kill because the were easy to kill (coastal habitat), were worth a lot of money (lots of blubber and long, good quality baleen), and were easy to harvest (floated when dead because of all their blubber).

Keep asking questions!!

Cathy