Whale Watching in Maine - Summer, 2003

From: Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 12:06:34 EDT

    Hi:

    Any time in summer is a good time to go whalewatching in Maine, though
    the number of kinds of whales you would see will depend entirely on how
    much food is around at a particular time. This isn't predictable ahead
    of time, and it varies a lot; so (for example), if you go in July, in
    some years there will be lots of animals, but in others not so many.
    July and August are usually good. If you have any flexibility as to
    time and place, you can check with locals as to what's around at the
    time. The Bar Harbor area is probably the most consistent. If you have
    the option to go over to Nova Scotia, there is a good whalewatch out of
    Brier Island. Among other things, it's worth the trip because the area
    is so beautiful and the people very friendly there; you can take a fast
    ferry from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth. well worth the trip!

    --

    Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D. Large Whale Biology Program Northeast Fisheries Science Center 166 Water Street Woods Hole, MA 02543, U.S.A.

    tel. 508 495-2316 fax 508 495-2066 email: pclapham@whsun1.wh.whoi.edu