How many species?

From: Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 17:15:51 EDT

    Hi:

    Assume you mean how many species of whales... Whales, dolphins and
    porpoises are all collectively called "cetaceans", and there are around
    80 species in total. This includes more than a dozen species of big
    whales, as well as dolphins, porpoises, beaked whales and other
    animals. They range in size from only four feet (a porpoise called the
    vaquita) to more than 100 feet and 200 tons (the blue whale).

    There are tons of books of whales, and a lot of information on the
    Internet, so go check out your local library...

    Phil Clapham

    --

    Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D. Large Whale Biology Program Northeast Fisheries Science Center 166 Water Street Woods Hole, MA 02543, U.S.A.

    tel. 508 495-2316 fax 508 495-2066 email: pclapham@whsun1.wh.whoi.edu