Training killer whales

From: Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 13:21:55 EDT

    Hi:

    This is a tough issue. Depending on your viewpoint, killer whales in
    captivity are either a valuable educational tool to teach people about
    marine life, or an animal being unfairly exploited to make money for
    aquaria.

    Killer whales are trained for public display in aquaria, presumably
    because this is what a lot of people like to see. Some people believe
    they can be used to get people interested in marine life and
    conservation; others think that getting an animal like this to do
    "tricks" teaches people (especially kids) the wrong thing about
    wildlife.

    Personally, I don't like seeing killer whales in captivity. They are
    very large, very social animals that range over thousands of miles in
    the wild, and they don't belong in tiny tanks with no company and little
    to keep them interested. But some people feel differently.

    Phil Clapham

    --

    Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D. Large Whale Biology Program Northeast Fisheries Science Center 166 Water Street Woods Hole, MA 02543, U.S.A.

    tel. 508 495-2316 fax 508 495-2066 email: pclapham@whsun1.wh.whoi.edu