About Whales

From: Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 08:52:45 EDT

    Hi:

    Well, what you're looking for is a whole lot of general information
    which can be found in any one of the many existing books on whales. You
    can find some of these at your local library, or just do a Web search on
    "whales" or some variation of this - there's a ton of information out
    there, and it's not hard to find.

    Some book suggestions:

    Whales and Dolphins, by Anthony Martin and a team of experts, Salamander
    Books Ltd. London, 1990. A thoroughly researched and beautifully
    illustrated overview of cetaceans.

    The Natural History of Whales and Dolphins, by Peter Evans, Christopher
    Helm (Publishers) Ltd, London, 1987. An in-depth review of the biology
    of cetaceans.

    Whales of the World, by Phil Clapham (yes, me!) Voyageur Press,
    Stillwater, Minnesota, 2002. A coffee-table-type book which gives an
    overview of the general biology and behavior of all the great whales, as
    well as species accounts for each.

    The Audubon Guide to Marine Mammals, by Randall Reeves, Brent Stewart,
    Phil Clapham and Buddy Powell. Knopf, New York, 2002. Just published,
    and about the most up-to-date field guide to these animals.

    Whales, by E. J. Slijper, Cornell University Press, Ithaca, New York,
    1962. Although out of date in some respects, this remains one of the
    best and most thorough books ever written about the biology of whales,
    and is indispensible to the serious student of the subject.

    In addition to the above, the WorldLife Library published by Voyageur
    Press presents detailed looks at the biology and behavior of three
    species of whales in the following books:

            Blue Whales, by John Calambokidis and Gretchen Steiger.
            Humpback Whales, by Phil Clapham.
            Killer Whales, by Sara and Jim Heimlich-Boran.

    ...among others.

    Phil Clapham

    --

    Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D. Large Whale Biology Program Northeast Fisheries Science Center 166 Water Street Woods Hole, MA 02543, U.S.A.

    tel. 508 495-2316 fax 508 495-2066 email: pclapham@whsun1.wh.whoi.edu