Whaling in Tonga

From: Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 12:02:20 EDT

    Hi:

    yes, I'm familiar with the Tonga situation from working with the Whaling
    Commission and also the South Pacific Whale Research Consortium. The
    species concerned is the humpback whale, which was depleted by earlier
    whaling in the region and has not recovered.

    The Tonga push to resume whaling - which was banned by royal decree - is
    clearly being pushed by Japan, which has attempted to bolster or
    reestablish native whaling operations in several placesas part of its
    oveall campaign to keep whaling active worldwide. There is considerable
    influence, money and pressure from the Japanese in Tonga.

    The arguments against resuming whaling on humpbacks in Tonga center
    primarily on the fact that the population is clearly not recovered. I
    wouldnt even get into the meat arguments, which just play into Japanese
    hands. The other argument is that whalewatching has become a viable
    economic activity in Tonga, and this is clearly not something which can
    be continued if the humpbacks there are being killed by whalers.

    Hope this helps. Thanks for your concern.

    Phil Clapham

    --

    Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D. Large Whale Biology Program Northeast Fisheries Science Center 166 Water Street Woods Hole, MA 02543, U.S.A.

    tel. 508 495-2316 fax 508 495-2066 email: pclapham@whsun1.wh.whoi.edu