heartbeats

From: Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 15:35:59 EDT

    Hi:

    I dont think anyone has done practical studies on the heartbeat of blue
    whales. This work has been done on humpbacks, however, and might have
    been done with grays (since a couple of gray whale calves have been in
    captivity).

    Since heartbeat generally decreases with size, one would certainly
    expect blue whales to have the slowest heartbeat of any animal
    (including gray whales, which are half the size of big blues). The
    heartbeat of a blue whale is probably 4-6 a minute.

    --

    Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D. Large Whale Biology Program Northeast Fisheries Science Center 166 Water Street Woods Hole, MA 02543, U.S.A.

    tel. 508 495-2316 fax 508 495-2066 email: pclapham@whsun1.wh.whoi.edu