Names for baby and male whales

From: pulipal@netscape.net
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 09:10:02 EDT

    1. What are baby whales called??
    2.What's the name of a male whale??

    Please answer my questions soon! I'm whaling to know!

        ~*~Mariah~*~
    Mariah,

    "Whale" no longer, here are your answers.

    Baby whales are called calves.
    Male whales are called bulls. (Are you noticing a trend here? A mom whale is called a cow.)

    Scientists most often call baby whales 'calves', but for males and females, we usually say 'male' or 'female' and not 'bull' or 'cow'. The exception is with sperm whales, where large adult males are often called 'bulls'.

    Hope this helps,

    Dagmar