Video, is it real and what is it

From: pulipal@netscape.net
Date: Mon Sep 23 2002 - 10:19:28 EDT

    I found this video of what I think is an orca whale jumping over a kayaker. I have it hosted on my site for my visitors, but I donít know what type of whale it is and whether or not the video is real. Can Orcaís jump that high? Have you seen this video before?

    http://rumorpill.com/orca

    Thanks,
    whalewatcher2k2@yahoo.com
    I don't think I had ever seen that video before. It is indeed a killer whale, or orca as you call it (for some reason, scientists call Orcinus orca 'the killer whale', while laypeople tend to call killer whales 'orca'.

    As for the authenticity of the video itself, I can't comment on that. Killer whales can jump that high. This one was actually doing what we call 'breaching'. Whales breach for a variety of reasons, and in this case, I would have to say that the whale probably felt harrassed by the kayakers (which is kind of unusual, since it usually propelled boats that bug whales more) and was slamming on the water to indicate its annoyance. Whether the whale intended to land on a kayaker or not is another story. Who knows on that one.

    Thanks for letting me know about the video.

    Dagmar