Whale-watching in New England

From: pulipal@netscape.net
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 10:13:48 EDT

    Hi Dagmar,
        For future planning, where is the best place to go for a whale-watching expedition where one might see a blue whale?
        A second question is . . . what area in Massachusetts is a good place for whale-watching?

    Thank you!
    Angie Sloan
    Hi Angie,

    How fun to be planning on whale watching. Since you ask about the east coast of the U.S., I'm going to assume you either live over there (I can say that since I'm in Texas) or are planning a visit. The best place to predictably see blue whales is actually in Canada up off St. Lawrence. You should be able to find some information online about whale-watching in that area.

    As for whale-watching places in Massachusetts, I'm going to send you back to WhaleNet to check the archives. This is an often-asked question, so I'm sure there is some useful information there. Alternatively, have you run a search online to find out where whalewatching venues take place? Try Gloucester as a starting point. I can recommend the Whale Center of New England. They should have a website or you can email my buddy Mason Weinrich at: mtw@shore.net and get some more info on trips in that area. The big thing about whale-watching trips is to be careful that the trip you take has a naturalist on board who is actually a whale biologist. There are trips that go out that don't always educate people about whales and the environment, etc., and I think that's one of the bonuses of going whale-watching. Learning from the folks who live in the area about the whales making appearances in the area.

    Hope this helps,
    Dagmar Fertl