weight of a whale's eyeball

From: Erich Hoyt (EHoyt@compuserve.com)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 05:52:35 EDT

    Message text written by INTERNET:JKoper6433@aol.com

    "
    Please take me seriously when I ask this, there is a reason for this
    question. How much does a whale's eyeball weigh?

    "

    It depends on the species of whale. Even if you don't include dolphins, the
    size of "whales" ranges from 20 feet long to nearly 100 feet long. The size
    of the gray whale's eyeball in Scammon's classic account Marine Mammals of
    the Northerwestern Coast of North America is given at "at least 4 inches in
    diameter". The scientifically oriented whalers like Charles Scammon did
    measure all sorts of body parts but they didn't tend to weigh the eyeballs.
    However, I would estimate 200 to 450 grams (half a pound to a pound in
    weight), although with the larger whales it could certainly go higher than
    that.