Captive born orcas & hybridism

From: Erich Hoyt (EHoyt@compuserve.com)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 07:24:42 EDT

    Message text written by "mnd~"

    "
    Dear Sir

    I love killer whales. I've had the privilege of observing them in the wild
    as well as at Sea World. My question is of the captive born killer whales
    is
    there now a recognized "group" "order" etc for them. I've heard them
    called
    hy-breds and is there anyone studying these killer whales.

    Thank you,

    Cori Hardin

    "

    Dear Cori

    No, there is no separate group, order or species for the captive born orcas
    whose parents may come from separate North Atlantic and North Pacific
    parents. They are the same species.

    A hybrid more commonly refers to the progeny of two different species of
    whales. For example, there are some cases of crosses between a bottlenose
    dolphin and a false killer whale in captivity and a total of 25 hybrid
    cases identified over the years within the toothed whales alone. Mating
    between species also occurs in the wild and there is a noted case of an
    individual that was determined to have had mixed blue whale and fin whale
    parentage.

    Erich Hoyt