Fish Rest

From: Erich Hoyt (EHoyt@compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Oct 20 2002 - 18:25:54 EDT

    Message text written by Tere Haas

    "
    Dear Sirs,

    Its a simple qestion: Do fish sleep?

    Thanks, our kindergarten class will wait with baited breath.

    Tere Haas"

    Fish often rest, sometimes even having long periods of inactivity, when
    they can be said to be conserving energy. For example, a lot of midwater
    fish rest all day long in midwaters, moving to surface waters at night to
    do their hunting. Others rest at night and do their hunting, mating and
    other activities by day, just like we do.

    Erich Hoyt

    Erich Hoyt
    The Gannetry
    29A Dirleton Avenue
    North Berwick, Scotland
    U.K. EH39 4BE

    email: ehoyt@compuserve.com

    Senior research associate, Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society
    Co-director, Far East Russia Orca Project

    Creatures of the Deep: In search of the sea's "monsters" and the world they
    live in. by Erich Hoyt. Published Nov. 2001 by Firefly Books (Canada, USA;
    distr. Chris Lloyd in UK). 160 pages, hardcover, 9 x 11 inches, all colour
    with photographs throughout, world seafloor map, illus., bibliog., index.
    $40 / 27.95.
    Outstanding Book of the Year Award, April 2002 - American Society of
    Journalists & Authors, Inc., New York

    www.fireflybooks.com/Nature/HOYT.html