Behavior and pigmentation questions about whales

From: Pita Admininstrator (
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 17:29:28 EST

    I hope that i can help with your studies.

    On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, bjones wrote:

    > My name is Allyson, and I am in the third grade. I am homeschooled and we are just starting to learn about whales. I have five questions to ask about whales.
    > 1. How long do whales live?
    > It is now believed that large whales live about as long as humans.
    There was an article recently that indicates that they may live much

    > 2. Do whales flip and spin in the air like dolphins?
    Yes they do. It is called breaching, see:
    > 3. Do killer whales come in different colors other than black and white?
    No, they all have a similar pigmentations/coloration, but there is
    sometimes a white or albino killer whale.

    > 4. Can whales understand some human talk?
    Like other animals they can be taught to do a behavior from a verbal
    > 5. Do whales get caught in drift nets like dophins?
    Yes they do. See:

    I hope that this informatio helps.

    Mike Williamson

                          J. Michael Williamson
    Principal Investigator-WhaleNet <>
                       Associate Professor-Science
      Wheelock College, 200 The Riverway, Boston, MA 02215
                 voice: 617.734.5200, ext. 2256
                fax:    617.734.8666, or 978.468.0073

    "Mother, Mother Ocean, I have heard your call, Wanted to sail upon your waters, since I was three feet tall" Jimmy Buffett ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~